Saturday 5 May 2012

‘Electra Heart‘ Album Review.

So most of you already know my adoration for Marina and the Diamonds, having previously seen her live and loving almost every song that she puts out there. It’s been 2 years since her debut album ‘The Family Jewels’ and she’s made quite the transformation! Not only has she made a dramatic change in appearance but also musically, yet still hanging on to Marina’s quirky and refreshing sound.
 The new album is very synthesised and electronic, having the likes of Dr. Luke producing a couple of songs. Although you might think of typical pop songs when thinking of Dr. Luke, having worked with Katy Perry, but the songs are not overproduced and still have a hollow and organic vibe, a vibe which is stretched across the whole album. Overall, ‘Electra Heart’ is turning into my favourite album of 2012 so far (Born To Die is still killing it on my iTunes though…)
Bubblegum Bitch - 3.5/5

Primadonna - 4/5
Lies - 5/5
Homewrecker - 3.5/5
Starring Role - 4/5
The State Of Dreaming - 4/5
Powell & Control - 5/5
Living Dead - 4.5/5
Teen Idle - 4/5
Valley Of The Dolls - 4.5/5
Hypocrates - 4/5
Fear and Loathing - 5/5

*Bonus Tracks*

Radioactive - 5/5
Sex Yeah - 4.5/5
Lonely Hearts Club - 5/5
Buy The Stars - 3.5 /5

As a side note, I would also like to take time to appreciate Marina’s 50’s and 60’s look that’s she’s pairing with this campaign. I’m especially loving the archetype structure to the whole campaign and the Americanised feel to the imagery. It’s just all to much for me really… I think I’m going to her tour in June and I cannot wait to see the setting and all the costume changes! She is just killing it lately!

Here’s a performance of ‘Primadonna’ on the Graham Norton Show from last week:

No comments:

Post a Comment